Sunday 11 March 2012

Medicine

In december I attended ‘Medlink’; an illuminating four day course aimed at prospective medical students. We attended an extraordinary number of lectures, which covered a wide range of topics, including information about getting into medical school as well as an overview of the most popular careers within medicine. Each lecture was incredibly inspiring and informative.

The particular session which stood out for me was the ‘EDGE’ session.  My newly found enthusiasm towards a career in medicine, is largely down to this lecture by James Ridgeway. His talk was riveting, making it impossible to lose concentration even for a moment.

After exploring the Medlink website, and various others I became determined to achieve a career in medicine. At the time I was sure that all I wanted to do was become a doctor, in particular a GP, as they are the ones who interact most with the patients. This is one of the aspects which appeals to me most about becoming a doctor. I love the idea of meeting lots of new people and I find it interesting how different people can be. I love the idea of a job that would be so varied, presenting a constant challenge everyday. However there are also many things about the job which don't appeal in quite the same way! For example there is a lot of paper work that is involved I am told. Doctors also work an incredible number of hours and have to be oncall at inconvenient moments. This could include being called out during particularly antisocial hours, which does not sound appealing!

Another that I don't like the sound of is the rediculously long university course, which would not only be hard work, but also incredibly expensive and would leave me with an enormous debt at the end! The course would be very much focussed on learning the facts required to do medicine and this does not sound very interesting to me. I would rather go to uni to learn life skills like independent study. In short, I want to learn how to learn. I want to find the things which I am being taught very interesting so that I am keen and enthusiastic to achieve!

If I do decide that I want to study medecine at university then I need to decide very soon because there is a lot that must be done, including work experience (which I am doing some of just in case) and UKCAT (the exam for medicine) practise.

I just don't know what I want to do!! It's quite scary not knowing where I'll be going next, like trying to find the other end of a pitch black tunnel during the night time!

HELP?! I gotta decide quick but I don't know whether or not to do medicine!

No comments:

Post a Comment